Thursday, November 4, 2010

Some on his condition

A lot of people's first question to me is: Is he going to live? To answer that, yes he is. You need not worry about that right now. My son will live. His conditions and the things that are going on with him right now are scarier than death though. He is barely 3 days going on 4 days old and he has had a tough life. A lot tougher than mine. Yesterday they did an EEG (Electroencephalogram- is a test that measures and records the electrical activity of the brain) for 1 hour. They usually do this for about 12 to 24 hours but since they were worried more about the MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging - is a noninvasive medical test that helps the doctors and see what is going on with the brain.)


I do not know all the results of both the test we will be going to the neurologist. His primary doctor that's been taking care of him and I talked on the phone yesterday. Previous to this conversation they had mentioned about fluid on the brain, his body was tense because something happened with not getting the nourishment he needed for a bit in my body and also that he was having seizures. What I got from the short conversation was this:


His whole brain was effected by lack of oxygen. She was unable to tell me how long. I do not know if they could ever tell me. I do not know what causes a lack of oxygen while in the womb so please do not ask me. I'm going to ask them and perhaps if they do know that I'll say something. But I think some things go unknown about some conditions. With saying this we will find out what challenges he will have in life after we speak to the neurologist. I guess they will be the only ones who will be able to outline what we are going to be going through. 


Also he has little to no gag reflex. So he isn't able to take breast milk or bottle for right now. Which means he is being given IVs with electrolytes (since his levels are down) and fats so he'll be able to gain weight instead of loosing it. We do not know if he will develop one or if he will be fed through a tube or not. So they said he will be getting a G tube so they will be able to give him food/liquids/medicine through it. This also will allow him to come home quicker! I'm hoping though he will at least develop the gag reflex so he'll be able to have some kind of normal in his life. 


It's a lot on my plate right now but Alex and I talked and it looks like I'm going to be a stay at home mom or work a day or two at a time here and there. I will be needed to take care of the boys and especially Austin. The next week or so we will see what they say. I can't believe my little man is 4 days old and he's gone through so much. He is still so helpless! I feel so bad for him. Thank you guys for the prayers by the way

1 comment:

  1. Amber you are so brave and I appreciate you sharing your story..

    ReplyDelete